shula's cup

shula's cup

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Drijat, an Arab village

Awhile ago I went on a tour with my friends to Eilat, and on the way we stopped at the Arab village of Drijat, which is situated south of Hebron, not far from Arad. This is the only Arab village in the Negev that is not Bedouin, but instead all of the residents belong to the Abu Hamad clan, which previously lived in the mountains of Hebron. The village was established 150 years ago when the residents lived in caves they carved from the rocks.[1] I think the tourist attraction there was supposed to be a cave that had been used as a house, but honestly, I didn't find the cave very interesting. I did however enjoy walking around the village taking pictures of the houses, some of which were quite grand and much nicer than any house I will ever be able to afford. This village is the first village in the world to be connected to a solar electricity system that supplies all of its electrical power.[2]
[1] http://www.jr.co.il/articles/solar-energy-lights-up-a-negev-village.txt
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drijat
on the outskirts of Drijat
Drijat





I was trying to imagine what life is like for the Arabs living in this village. They claim to be very peaceful and hardworking and have adjusted well to Israeli society. On one side of the village was a flock of sheep herded by a shepherd in a blue polo-style shirt and sweat pants. I came closer to photograph the sheep, and the shepherd let me hold one of the lambs. The moment that lamb was in my arms I experienced such overwhelming joy. I didn't expect it to feel like such a real baby. It was as light as a kitten and its wool was so soft and fuzzy. It was very submissive and didn't struggle in my arms at all but just let me hold it and kiss it and stroke its lovely woollen coat. I think I could have held that lamb all day. I really did not want to give the lamb back to the shepherd, but then others saw how much fun I was having and suddenly lots of people were taking turns holding it. 

Drijat
Drijat
Drijat
Drijat
children of Drijat
children of Drijat
Notice the very large solar panels on the roof. The entire village runs on solar power.
The village of Drijat has many big, beautiful homes. 
This is how the Arabs serve coffee and/or tea. 
These old kitchen utensils are in one of the old caves that used to serve as a home and is now open for tourists to visit. 
If this was my house I don't think I would be complaining. 
Drijat
You can see the shepherd [in the blue shirt] surrounded by his sheep on the outskirts of the village.
See the little lamb's hind end between the big sheep? This was before the shepherd grabbed him for me to hold.
The shepherd is bringing the lamb over to me.
a moment of bliss for me
Others held and played with the lamb also.
Drijat
Drijat is located south of Hebron and northwest of Arad.

No comments:

Post a Comment